Autumn is here, bringing brisk and outright cold weather in other parts of the world. Here in the UAE, October means spending more time outdoors, and enjoying beautiful sunsets… and warm seasonal soups of course!
This Curried Butternut Squash and Buckwheat soup is the first of many soup recipes we will be sharing with you this season. It is easy to prepare and you can get creative with what you would like to top it with. Let your taste buds guide you!
Olive oil spray
- 1 yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 cup buckwheat, rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons curry powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 ½ lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- Greek yogurt, for topping (optional)
- Spray a large saucepan with olive oil and add chopped onion. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until
- Add buckwheat, garlic, sea salt, curry powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. Cook for 4 to 5
minutes, stirring often.
- Add in vegetable broth and squash and bring to a simmer. Reduce to low
and cover. Cook for 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and allow to cool slightly.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender. Alternatively, working in batches puree soup in your
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve with a dollop of soy or dairy yogurt if desired
- Add a dollop of Greek yogurt and sprinkle with your favorite nuts. We opted for crushed pistachios and almonds.
- You can replace buckwheat with quinoa or gluten-free oats