Fall is here! I know, it’s hard to tell in the UAE but it is!! And with every new season, comes new produce and flavors.
In this week’s FarmBox, I received some red apples. Naturally, I had to make a warming breakfast with this delicious piece of fruit combined with the warming effect of cinnamon and the added sweetness of dried fruit.
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup liquid (water or milk or choice)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 apple, sliced
- 1 tbsp dried fruit of choice (I used prunes - raisins are also a great choice)
- Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp crushed walnuts
- In a saucepan, add the oats, chia seeds, nut butter and liquid. Stir often until the oats start to cook, and liquid is absorbed. Add applesauce and cinnamon, stir until combined.
- Meanwhile, warm about 1 tsp coconut oil in another saucepan, add diced apples and sprinkle with cinnamon. Stir often. As the apples start to soften, add the dried fruit and continue to stir another 2 minutes or so until flavors combine.
- Transfer oatmeal to a bowl, topped with the apple mixture and crushed walnuts. Mix all ingredients together and serve warm.
- The fruits and cinnamon sweeten the oatmeal already but if you want your oatmeal a little sweeter, feel free to add up to a tsp of honey or maple syrup.
Let me know if you try this!