These turned out amazing, If I say so myself. Perfect to stop any sugar craving at its tracks!! And what’s better, they are really easy to make!
– 1 cup pitted dates
– 1/4 cup peanut butter (or nut butter of choice)
– 1 tsp coconut oil
– sea salt to taste
– Chocolate of choice. I used 6 squares of Loving Earth’s Organic Raw Coconut Mylk but feel free to use a darker version if preferred
– Up to 2 tbsp almond milk (or dairy free milk of choice), depending on chosen consistency
1) In a pan, melt 1tsp coconut oil
2) Add the pitted dates until they soften
3) Either add the nut butter to the pan or transfer the mixture to a food processor to better combine. You can also simply add dates and peanut butter to a processor from the start without heating the dates first. I just find the dates become more caramel-like when cooked
4) Add sea salt to taste. I used a lightly salted peanut butter so I did not need to add the salt
5) Place mixture in the freezer to set
In the meantime:
6) Pour some milk in a small sauce pan and let it simmer
7) Add the chocolate and let it melt. Add milk as required depending on preferred consistency. Not too thick, not too runny is the way to go. You want it to stick without being too heavy
8) Once the caramel mixture has set, remove from freezer and scoop out teaspoon fulls (I used a mini ice cream scooper). Roll into balls and dip in the chocolate mixture. I recommend using a toothpick to dip and a spoon to spread evenly across
9) Place the bites back in the freezer and let them set
Once set, serve immediately and keep leftovers (if any!) in the fridge as chocolate mixture melts quite easily.
Makes about 8 balls.