Ditch the store bought jams and make your own in less than 30min!
What you get is a pectin-free, refined sugar-free and unprocessed jam.
For those of you who don’t know, pectin is a commercially produced white to light brown powder, mainly extracted from citrus fruits and is used in food as a gelling agent, particularly in jams and jellies.
Forget about useless processed jams and start by making your own. What you will need is:
1) 2 cups strawberries, remove stem and chop in half
2) 2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
3) Optional – 1/4 cup maple syrup or Stevia (you may reduce quantity depending on sweetness desired)
4) Optional – water, depending on preferred jam consistency.
1) Place chopped strawberries, chia seeds and maple
syrup/stevia (if using) into a blender.
2) Blend on medium to high speed until preferred jam consistency is obtained.
3) Optional – Add water 1 Tbsp at a time as needed to get mixture moving.
4)Pour mixture into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until bubbles begin to appear.
5) Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until the jam starts to thicken.
6)Remove from heat and immediately pour into a jar. 7) Allow to cool completely and then store in the fridge for up to one week.
– If you made a big batch of strawberry jam, you may freeze it in a tight sealed jar/container.
– If placed in fridge, jam should be consumed within a week, as it is unprocessed jam.